Connect with us

Metro

No one died in Ibadan schools’ attack —Govt

Published

on

Oyo State Commissioner for Education, Barrister Olasunkanmi Olaleye

…govt ready to prevent hoodlums’ attacks on public schools
 
The government of Oyo State said on Thursday that no life was lost in the attack on the Ibadan Municipal Grammar School, Oke-Bola, Ibadan by yet-to-be-identified hoodlums.

A statement by the State’s Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, which was endorsed by the Commissioner, Barrister Olasunkanmi Olaleye, indicated that the administration would take proactive measures to curb cases of frequent clashes between hoodlums and students of its public schools.

The statement quoted the Permanent Secretary, Oyo State Teaching Service Commission (TESCOM), Mrs. Olabisi Oderinde, who visited the scene of the incident as refuting the report that the clash was between IMG school students and those of Oke-Bola Comprehensive High school.

She added that contrary to reports in some sections of the media, no student died during the clash.
According to Oderinde, one Usman Olalere, a Senior Secondary School 3 student of IMG school had convulsion during the clash but that he has since recovered after undergoing treatment at the hospital.
Oderinde stated that the perpetrators of the violence would be brought to book, adding that the state government would build a perimeter fence round IMG school, as the porous nature of the school gave the hoodlums easy access to its compound.
Addressing newsmen after inspecting the school and the nearby mechanic workshop, which was said to have been affected by the clash, Oderinde said that the government would convene a stakeholders’ meeting, which would include the School Governing Board, parents, heads of teachers and neighbourhood landlords.
Earlier, Mrs. Adenike Ajiboye and Mrs. Ramat Adepoju, Principals of IMG School and Oke-Bola Comprehensive School, respectively, said such invasion was rampant in the area, urging the government to put an end to such clashes.
Ajiboye said lack of perimeter fence contributed to the incessant attacks by hoodlums in the area, saying the Wednesday incident started when some hoodlums came into the school premises “and accused some of our students of abusing them.”

She said all efforts to appease them proved abortive, as they started chasing everyone including teachers until security operatives came to their rescue.
Violence had broken out on Wednesday, when some hoodlums attacked students of Ibadan Municipal Grammar School (IMG), Oke-Ado, Ibadan.
The hoodlums, who were said to have invaded the school with dangerous weapons around 1:30 pm, clashed with the students of the school.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Another explosion in Lagos; Eight lives lost

Published

on

By

 

In what can be described as a sad event, eight persons have so far been confirmed dead in the gas explosion that occurred in Baruwa community, in the Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State in the early hours of Thursday, October 8.

Confirming the number of fatalities to newsmen, the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said

“The explosion occurred and the agency activated a response plan. Initial disaster assessment is as follows: casualties still being assessed but eight fatalities have been identified so far. 25 houses that are mostly bungalows, 16 lock-up shops and one primary school have been affected.

Firefighters and rescue workers are operating at the incident scene. The gas emission has been identified and curtailed. Damping down is ongoing.

Post-disaster assessment will be carried out and further updates provided”

Continue Reading

Metro

Baby factory exposed in Osun, Undergraduate, 47 babies rescued

Published

on

By

A FACILITY in Ile-Ife, Osun State, where women are apparently impregnated and their babies sold off by operators has been sealed by the state government.

An undergraduate was among women rescued at the facility, which is said to be operating under the guise of an orphanage.

Also, 47 children were evacuated from building, The Nation gathered.

Women, Children and Social Affairs Commissioner, Olubukola Olaboopo and other officials of the ministry and police sealed off the facility identified as Oroyemi Elizabeth Covenant Home and Care Centre.

Olaboopo told The Nation on the phone on Saturday that government received reports on the goings-on in the building over a period of three to four years suggesting that there were some illegal activities there.

She said despite warnings by the government, the owner persisted, thus breaching the Child Right Laws, and resulting in the closure of the building.

“We have gotten several reports over a period of 3-4 years, reporting how the children in Oroyemi Elizabeth Covenant Home and Care Centre are malnourished and the environment have been very dirty and how some illegal activities have been going on more or less like a baby factory and many more allegations,” she said.

“We rescued 47 children; 10-15 adults girls are there. Those with physical disabilities,among whom is an undergraduate of Osun State Polytechnic, Iree, were among those that were rescued. Most of them were crying, they refused to follow us but we were able to take three of them.

“As at this (yesterday) morning, the matron who is taking care of those adults just told me that it seems two of them are breastfeeding. When we interrogated them, they said they have never given birth to a child. So it means that we want to know who got them pregnant when they are not married.

“How come they are pregnant? So there are so many things underneath and the state government is still investigating.”

The Nation

Continue Reading

Metro

Just In: Fire engulfs warehouses belonging to Guinness PLC in lagos

Published

on

 

Two warehouses belonging to Guinness PLC caught fire in Ogba, Lagos, on Thursday morning, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service said.

According to a press statement put out by the Service, the fire started at about 3 am.

“A distress call was received at about 0330hrs to Wemco Road, Ogba where it was discovered on arrival that twin warehouses belonging to Guinness PLC was on fire,” the Service’s Acting Head, Mrs. Margaret Adeseye confirmed in the statement.

She said that immediately the call was received firefighters, from Alausa and Ilupeju Stations, were deployed to the scene of the incident.

Adeseye added that the cause of the inferno that gutted the warehouses, which are used for storing plastic containers and bottles, is yet to be ascertained at the moment.

While saying that the rescue operations by the firefighters to put off the fire is already at the conclusion stage, she confirmed no deaths or injuries have been recorded as a result of the incident.

Continue Reading

Trending