Connect with us

Crime & Court

MKO: Our step-mother got us arrested like mere criminals – Late Abiola’s children files N100m suit



Two children of the late MKO Abiola, self-acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993, presidential election, Kassim, and Aliyu Abiola have instituted a N100 million suit against the police.

The duo sued the Lagos state commissioner of police over their arrest; and also detention in connection with a robbery incident at their family house.

Some gunmen had invaded the residence of the late MKO Abiola in Ikeja, Lagos, on September 2.

This was further confirmed by Bala Elkana, spokesman of the Lagos police command, who stated that some suspects were arrested in connection with the incident.

Mike Ozekhome, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), had filed the lawsuit on behalf of the duo.

The SAN revealed in the lawsuit that Adebisi Abiola, their stepmother, is responsible for their arrest; having accused them of being involved in the incident.

“The applicants were tortured; totally humiliated; dehumanised; and terrorised, with a crowd of people swarming the premises; to witness the ugly scene in the home of MKO Abiola, a former presidential aspirant of the Social Democratic Party,” read an affidavit filed in support of the suit.

“Also, the applicants were informed that their arrest was based on an alleged complaint; by one Mrs Adebisi Abiola, their stepmother; to the effect that a robbery incident took place in their home; that suspected armed men invaded the residence and also carted away valuables, including money.

“The applicants were forcibly dragged like common criminals; more in form of abduction than arrest as well as roughly driven to the Ikeja police station.

“They were promptly detained without any record, howsoever. They were also not given any opportunity to speak with anyone, let alone a lawyer.”

Ozekhome asked the court to order the release of Kassim as well as Aliyu as their arrest was a violation of their fundamental human right.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime & Court

Akinyele prime suspect escape:Makinde calms community, gives new marching orders



The Oyo State Governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde, on Tuesday, gave marching orders to security operatives to ensure the re-arrest of Sunday Shodipe,  the notorious suspect, alleged to be involved in the series of murders in Akinyele, who escaped from from police custody in Ibadan, on Saturday.

The governor, who was represented by the Special Adviser on Security, COMPOL Fatai Owoseni (rtd), at a Town Hall meeting held at Akinyele Local Government, said the re-arrest of the alleged mastermind of at least six ritual killings in Ibadan, must be made a top priority of security operatives. 

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, indicated that Governor Makinde reiterated that his administration places a premium on security of lives and properties in the state, urging the residents of the area to remain calm and not take laws into their hands.

The governor, who maintained that he shared the pains of the people of Akinyele, over the incessant killings in the local government, said the people must continue to cooperate with law enforcement officials to lawfully bring about an end to the menace in the area.

He said: “All of us have followed the incidents in Akinyele; the arrest of the principal suspect in the case and, of course, his escape from custody, after being arraigned in court.

“We are here today in this Town Hall meeting and Governor Makinde has directed that we should let the people in the community know that as governor, he shares their pain; and as people of Oyo State, we  share in the pain; and what has happened is condemnable and unacceptable in all materials particular

“Be that as it may, the governor also wants us to dialogue with the people, with a view to ensuring that as much as security challenges can affect economic development, so also are barbaric actions like taking laws into people’s hands.

“Yes, the people have the right, having suffered such pains, to come out to protest. But when we do our protest, we should do it in a way that will not continue to destroy property of people. Because the properties of people we are destroying could also be members of our family. Everyone knows that what has happened is bad but for every 12 disciples of Jesus Christ, you see a Judas Iscariot.

“So, His Excellency, Governor Seyi Makinde, apart from being pained, sharing in the pains of the people and being in solidarity with them, has also ensured that this gets to the hearing of the top echelon of the police, that is the Inspector General of Police. The governor and IGP have given the marching order to the commissioner of police and all his officers in Oyo State to work with the people in the community, so as to ensure that the suspect is rearrested; and ensure that all those cases are investigated to a logical conclusion. 

The governor added that the police would need the cooperation of the people to be able to succeed in putting an end to the incessant killings and crime in the community, saying: “The last one was preventable if that suspect had not escaped. 

“Just like the state gave the security agencies the wherewithal and tools to apprehend that suspect in the first case, so also is the governor deploying whatever is necessary and the enablement that will make them succeed. And they must work in partnership with the members of the community in the spirit of community policing.

“So, we have come here to pass this message to our people here. They have also given their commitment to work together with the police to make sure the suspect is re-arrested, investigated and prosecuted,” the governor said.

The Town Hall meeting was attended by government functionaries and community leaders including Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Taiwo Adisa; Alakinyele of Akinyele, Oba James Odeniran; Akinyele Local Government chairman, Hon. Taoheed Adedigba, and his counterpart at the Akinyele South LCDA, Hon. Kazeem Adekunle Akinyele.

Others were Hon. Muyiwa Ogunrinde, the chairman of Akinyele East LCDA; community leaders, representatives  of religious groups and vigilante groups, among others.

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Another female student stabbed after she resisted rape




Another female student, Bello Barakat was reportedly stabbed to death by armed robbers after she resisted their attempt to rape her.

Barakat who is a student of the Institute of Agricultural Research And Training IAR&T in Ibadan, Oyo state, was killed on Monday, in her parent’s house.

The sad need was disclosed by a facebook user, Tunji Olatunji, who shared the story online.

Olatunji explained that the robbers had attacked Barakat’s home and during the robbery tried to rape her. She resisted them and in the process, they stabbed her to death.

This story is coming days after a UNIBEN student, Uwaila Omozuwa, was raped and murdered by yet to be identified persons inside a church in Benin city, the Edo state capital.

Read Olatunji’s post below

”Now, these times are not funny.

Bello Barakat has fallen too. A student of IAR&T Oluyole, Ìbàdàn. I gathered their home was attacked yesterday afternoon by supposed robbers who tried to finish on a romp.

Barakat resisted their attempt to rape her and she was stabbed to death. We hope and pray that the perpetrators of this evil will be fished out.

The girls are getting more endangered. The society must do something. I am not just worried because I am a father to 19 year old student too, but I am really concerned because girls and women deserve better. They deserve respect and protection from the society. They are not objects for use in carnality.

I think it is time to start a new campaign to mould the boy child. The new generation of boys seem to be posing much danger to the advocacies for the girl child over time.

It is my earnest prayers that the killers of #Barakat and #Uwa and every unreported assaults and deaths be brought to justice.” he wrote

Continue Reading

Crime & Court

Payback time as Court orders FG to pay N1m for disrupting Sowore’s #RevolutionNow protest




Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the Federal Government of Nigeria to pay the sum of One million naira for disrupting the #RevolutionNow held on August 5, 2019.

The sum was awarded in favour of a Lagos-based lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje, who said he participated in the protest and was among those tear-gassed by security agents.

The court also ordered the Nigerian Government to tender a public apology to the applicant in three national daily newspapers.

Recall that the convener of the protest, Omoyele Sowore, was arrested by the Department of State Services on August 3, 2019 and finally released on December 24, 2019.

Justice Maureen Onyetenu, declared the disruption of the peaceful protest by the Nigerian Government through the police, as “illegal, oppressive, undemocratic and unconstitutional,” Naija News reports.

The judge agreed with the applicant in the suit, Ogungbeje, who sued on behalf of himself and other participants in the protest that the Nigerian Government deprived them of their right to peaceful assembly and association in violation of sections 38, 39 and 40 of the 1999 constitution.

The judge also condemned “the mass arrest, harassment, tear-gassing, and clamping into detention” of the protesters.

Ogungbeje had urged the court to award N500m as general and exemplary damages against the Nigerian Government, DSS and the Attorney-General of the Federation, but the court only awarded N1m.

The judge also upheld the defence of the DSS that it was not involved in the disruption of the protest.

In the affidavit, which he filed in support of the suit, Ogungbeje said when he was co-opted into the #RevolutionNow protest, as a lawyer, he checked the constitution and found that it was lawful.

He, however, said on getting to the take-off point of the protest in Lagos, “I met agents and operatives of the respondents who had barricaded the venue of the peaceful protest for good governance in Nigeria.

“I was tear-gassed by agents of the respondents and the peaceful protest was forcefully disrupted by the respondents.

“I have been denied my fundamental constitutional rights of peaceful assembly and association by the respondents without cause.”

Continue Reading