Connect with us

News

EndSARS: SANWO-OLU VISITS WIDOW, FAMILY OF DRIVER KILLED IN SURULERE

Published

on

EndSARS: Gov Sanwoolu pays condolence visit to family of driver killed in Surulere

…Says The Deceased Won’t Die In Vain

…Eyewitness Relives How Iloamuazor Was Hit By Stray Bullet

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Saturday, visited the widow of the driver hit by stray bullet during the last Monday demonstration by youths in Surulere for the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

The protest ended bloody when the police attempted to disperse some of the protesters who were moving towards Anti-Cultism Police Command in the area. In the ensuing chaos, Mr. Okechukwu Iloamuazor, 55, was hit by bullet and died on the spot.

A policeman, Inspector Ayodeji Erinfolami, also died in the incident.

The family house of the slain driver was enveloped in gloom when Sanwo-Olu visited his grief-stricken widow, Mrs. Ngozi Iloamuazor.

The Governor arrived at the deceased’s house at 2pm; he was received by family members led by their head, Barrister Bede Enewally.

Sanwo-Olu commiserated with the family over the incident, which he described as unfortunate. He said the late Iloamuazor should not have died under the circumstance, but assured the family members that the perpetrators would be brought to book.

Already, all the four policemen who opened fire on the protesters in Surulere had been identified by the Government and the police authorities. They are currently undergoing orderly room trial at the Lagos State Police Command.

But, Sanwo-Olu said the State Government would take the officers’ punishment beyond the established disciplinary guidelines of the police.

He said: “On behalf of the State Government, and the people of Lagos, I commiserate with the family over this mindless brutality that led to the death of your son. We condemn endless killing of innocent citizens to the highest level. It is highly disheartening to learn that the victim, Mr. Iloamuazor, was performing his legitimate duty when the unfortunate incident happened. He hurt no one to have subjected to such pain death.

“The officers involved are undergoing orderly room trial as we speak, but we will allow the police complete their investigation. We will certainly take the case out of the police and bring the full wrath of the law on the officers who perpetrated this irresponsible act. This will be clear signal for other trigger-happy officers.

“Mr. Iloamuazor’s death is a sad loss not only for the family but to the entire citizenry that has clamoured for an end to police brutality. I assure you that his death won’t be in vain and the case will not be swept under the carpet. This is going to be the beginning of real change that people want to see in law enforcement.”

Sanwo-Olu reiterated that his administration remained on the side of those calling for change in policing method. He said all those maimed or killed in Lagos in the course of the demonstration would be duly compensated, adding that the State Government would honour their sacrifices by pushing for reforms that would bring about a policing system that will uphold rights of the citizens.

He said: “As a Government, we have stood on the side of the protesters and we totally believe their agitation is legitimate. We need total reform in the policing system and it is a clarion call on all of us, who are exercising powers on behalf of the citizens.

The late Mr. Iloamuazor’s boss, Chief Sam Okafor, who witnessed how the driver got hit by stray bullet, relived the incident.

Okafor cleared the air that the deceased was not partaking in the protest, pointing out they were both heading to Ilupeju when they ran into the protesters in Surulere.

“We were stuck in the traffic caused by the protesters who were shouting EndSARS. For more than 40 minutes, there was no movement. I wound down the windshield for fresh air, while Iloamuazor got down from the car to stretch his body. After stretching, he put his both hands into his pockets and trying to figure out where the traffic started.

He said: “Suddenly we heard gunshot three times. The next thing I saw was Iloamuazor falling from his position. His hands remained in his pockets as he fell. I ran out of the car and screamed for help. People came and started performing all sort of things to save him. The police came to the scene and I told them my driver had been shot on the spot.”

Okafor urged the Governor to ensure justice was served in the matter, noting that he was yet to be relieved of the shock.

Enewally said Iloamuazor’s death threw the family into a state of perpetual sorrow, noting that the deceased carried several responsibilities in the family. He said the family put its trust in the Governor to ensure justice was served at the end of the day.
 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

#EndSARS: News of killed youths at Lekki toll gate fake – Gov Sanwoolu says no lives lost (VIDEO)

Published

on

Governor Sanwo-Olu says there have been no fatalities recorded in the gunshot incident that occurred at the Lekki tollgate during the end SARS protest on Tuesday night, October 20.

Speaking at a press briefing this morning, Governor Sanwo-Olu said

”Whilst we pray for the swift recovery of the injured, we are comforted that we have not recorded any fatality as against the widespread circulation on social media.”

Watch Video below:

Continue Reading

News

#EndSARS Protests: Makinde closes schools in Ibadan, deploys Operation Burst to hot spots

Published

on

By

 

…says we can’t allow those with ulterior motive to hijack protests

…as govt unconditionally releases arrested protesters

Oyo State Governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde, has directed the immediate closure of all schools in Ibadan beginning from Wednesday, 21 October, 2020,  in view of the prolonged #EndSARS protests rocking the state capital.

The governor, in a state broadcast aired on the Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State (BCOS), stated that the closure of the schools will be reviewed on Friday, October 23,  2020.

The governor equally announced the deployment of operatives of the ‘Operation Burst,’ a state-backed security outfit comprising soldiers, men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and the Nigeria Police, to all flash points of violence in Ibadan, the state capital, to restore normalcy and maintain peace.

He further explained that the decision to close schools and deploy men of  the ‘Operation Burst’ was a result of the new dimension the ongoing #EndSARS protest was taking, adding that hoodlums have started taking advantage of the protests to harass citizens, perpetrate uncivil acts and disturb residents from carrying out their legitimate businesses.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, indicated that Governor Makinde further noted that operatives of the ‘Operation Burst’ would continue to be on ground to protect legitimate and peaceful  protesters, warning, however, that the state would not allow unscrupulous elements to hijack the protests and terrorise residents of the state.

He maintained that as part of the state government’s determination to protect peaceful protesters, it had earlier deployed operatives of the ‘Operation Burst’ to certain parts of the state to protect protesters, saying that the development enabled the protesters to express their legitimate grievances unhindered.

governor Makinde had, in the wake of the protests a little over a week ago, deployed operatives of ‘Operation Burst’ to Ogbomoso town to maintain peace following an outbreak of violence.

The outfit was also charged to take the responsibility of protecting protesters, while the police were told to step back from protest venues.

But in his broadcast on Tuesday, Governor Makinde expressed worry that some hoodlums had been preventing residents of the state from going about their lawful businesses in the name of the protests.

He asked residents of the state to dial the state’s emergency code 615 in the case of anyone trying to foment trouble or bar them from carrying out their legitimate businesses.

According to the governor, his government has shown that it is committed to redeeming the pledges he made while addressing the protesters last week, adding  that as he promised, the Ministry of Justice of the state has withdrawn cases against arrested #EndSARS protesters, while those in custody have been released. 

He added that the government has also set up platforms for reporting past and present incidents of police brutality and injustice, urging residents of the state to trust the process and rest, assured that justice would be done, rather than resorting to violence, which, he said, could be counter-productive to the cause of the protests against police brutality.

The governor said: “I address you at this time to talk about some of the issues that have been thrown up by the EndSARS protests in Oyo State. I have always said that peaceful protests are an important part of our democratic process, and that no one should be harassed or brutalised for protesting. 

“For this reason, we deployed members of ‘Operation Burst’ to protect protesters. And we are happy to report that there have been no cases of disruptions of protest grounds in Oyo State since they started work.

“However, the past two days have seen a new dimension to the ongoing protests. Thugs and hoodlums have taken advantage of the situation to perpetrate uncivil acts and harass citizens who are going about their day-to-day activities. Some thugs are going as far as forcing people who have businesses open to close shop and join in the protests. We know these are criminal elements. And so, as a state, we must act to protect the citizenry.

“Therefore, we are deploying members of the ‘Operation Burst’ to various hotspots in Ibadan to arrest the situation and restore normalcy. The members of the team will continue to protect genuine protesters and their right to protest. But we cannot allow persons with ulterior motives to hijack the protests. 

“We remain committed to the process of meeting the demands of these protests. Already, as promised, the Director of Public Prosecution, Ministry of Justice, Oyo State, has withdrawn cases against EndSARS protesters, and those in custody have been released. 

“Also, the Oyo State Government has set up platforms for reporting past and present incidents of police brutality and injustice. This will naturally pave the way for the next steps in our quest to get justice for the victims. I urge the good people of Oyo State to trust the process that we have set up and rest assured that every case will be pursued to a logical conclusion.

“I have directed that all schools in Ibadan should be closed from tomorrow, Wednesday, October 21 2020 for the rest of this week. The situation will be reviewed on Friday, October 23 2020, and then further directives will be given. 

“Please call 615 should anyone attempt to disrupt your legitimate business activities.”

Governor Makinde added that his government would continue to seek ways to engage with peaceful protesters, saying: “We will continue to seek ways to engage with peaceful protesters. Our plan is that in the shortest possible time, we can finally say the days of large-scale and wanton police brutality and injustice is a thing of the past. 

“Let me also use this opportunity to call on members of the Nigeria Police Force to remain professional in the discharge of their duties as they will be held responsible for their actions.”

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Security Operatives Fire Gunshots At #EndSARS Protesters In Lekki, (Video)

Published

on

By

 

The Lekki toll gate area of Lagos is currently a state of pandemonium as security agents fired gunshots to disperse #EndSARS protesters.

According to reports gathered, there are some deaths and scores have been injured.

Protesters who were carrying the Nigerian national flag unharmed where seen undeterred even at the face of danger.

Details later

Continue Reading

Trending