Connect with us

News

COVID-19: Oyo Task Force takes sensitisation to Oke Ogun

Published

on

 

…Failure to wear face mask will attract penalty, says Info Commissioner

The sensitization and enlightenment drive of the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force continued on Thursday, as the state’s Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Dr. Wasiu Olatubosun, led members of the Media and Sensitisation Committee of the Task Force to Oke Ogun zone.

Similar sensitization efforts had been taken to Oyo and Ogbomoso zones in the past weeks, as the state government continues to intensify efforts on sensitization as part of measures to contain the spread of the virus in the state.

This was as the Task Force maintained that failure to wear nose masks in the state will soon begin to attract penalty, as defaulters of the guideline will be prosecuted and appropriately punished.

The committee said that wearing of face masks was in line with COVID-19 protocol designed to guarantee the safety and well-being of everyone.

A statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, who also doubles as a member of the committee, quoted the commissioner as saying that the guidelines put in place by the state on how to contain the spread of the novel Coronavirus are for the benefit of the people.

Olatubosun urged residents of Igbeti and Kisi in Olorunsogo and Irepo Local Government Areas of the state to ensure that they maintain physical distance, adhere to restrictions on religious worship, ensure the washing of hands and use of sanitisers as well as ensure the constant use of nose masks.

While speaking at the palace of the Onigbeti of Igbeti, Oba Emmanuel Oyekan Oyebisi, the commissioner explained that the state government led by Governor Seyi Makinde “believes in the welfare and good health of every resident of the state.”

He explained that over one million face masks have been produced by the state’s Covid-19 Task Force and that they are already being distributed to the residents of the state for free, adding that thousands of the masks have been distributed.

He added that the distribution was still going on in all the local governments of the state.

He said: “We are here to continue the state-wide sensitization drive on how we all can play our part in containing the spread of the COVID-19. This pandemic has put the entire world at a standstill and our dear state has also been affected.

“But our governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde, places great importance on the welfare, wellbeing and good health of the people. This is why the Task Force under his able leadership has made it a responsibility to touch every area in the state to enlighten the people on the roles they can play to stop the virus in our state.

“Though there have been messages on various media platforms, it behoves on the government to move from streets, villages, towns and cities in the state to sensitize the residents on the need to take precautions given by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).”
 
Olatubosun told the Onigbeti-in-Council, community leaders, market men and women as well as representatives of various organizations to spread the message of containing the COVID-19, adding that the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force will soon enforce the compulsory wearing of the nose masks.
He maintained that erring individuals would be prosecuted and fined N20,000.000 per person.
Similarly, while speaking at the palace of the Iba of Kisi, Oba Moshood Oyekola Lawal, Olatubosun said the that the level of compliance on nose covering was low.
He said, “When I entered Kisi land, I discovered that the level of compliance on wearing of nose masks was very low. I urge all the security agencies to join hands with traditional rulers with a view to combating the virus.”
In his response, Oba Moshood Oyekola Lawal vowed that he, together with government and security agencies would ensure that people abide by the precautions of the government and its agencies.   
Sensitizing the people in Oja Oba and Kara Markets in Igbeti and Kisi respectively, a member of the Nigeria Red Cross Society, representing the Risk Communication Pillar of the Emergency Operation Centre of the state, Mrs Adekunbi Oladipo, urged people to abide by the laid down precautions.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

COVID-19 Update by the Incident Commander, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

By

Covid-19: Lagos discharge cases rises to 707 as 45 patients gets discharge

Lagos State has recorded the discharge of 45 fully recovered Covid-19 patients. This brings the total number of discharged cases in the state to 707.

This was disclosed by the state governor and incident commander for Covid-19, Mr Babajide Sanwo-olu on Saturday while giving Covid-19 update for the state.

He urged all to take responsibility in ensuring safety for self and for all.

He said:

Good people of Lagos,

“I bring you great news from our isolation facilities. Today, 45 fully recovered COVID19Lagos patients; 22 females and 23 males, all Nigerians were discharged to join the society.

“The patients; 19 from the Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, 3 from Onikan, 8 from Agidingbi, 7 from Lekki, 1 from Eti-Osa (LandMark) and 7 from Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) Isolation Centres were discharged having fully recovered and tested negative to COVID19.

“With this, the number of patients successfully managed and discharged from our Isolation facilities has risen to 707.

“As we look forward to more great news in the coming days, I urge you all to take responsibility and play your part for a #COVID19FreeLagos #ForAGreaterLagos.”

Continue Reading

News

Is all well with Mr President? – Nigerians react as Buhari prays sitting, without face mask

Published

on

Nigerians have taken to social media platforms especially Twitter to ask what exactly may be the problem with President Muhammadu Buhari as pictures surfaced online of him sitting while observing the Eid-il-fitri prayers.

The president was also seen without a mask as a one of the precautionary measures to guard against the novel and deadly Covid-19.

The photograph showed the president sitting on a chair without a mask while his aides with masks sat on a mat as expected by the tenets of Islam in observing prayers.

This has triggered controversies on why the president had to disregard the teachings of Islam by sitting on a chair.

While some explained that there are some exceptions in Islam that exempts one to sit while praying, others believed all may not be well with Mr President.

Read some reactions below:

Continue Reading

News

Abia State Commissioner for Environment, Solomon Ogunji is dead

Published

on

By

Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, has reacted to the death of the Commissioner for Environment in the state, Solomon Ogunji, who reportedly gave up the ghost on Saturday, May 23, 2020.

The commissioner as disclosed in a statement made available to newsmen by the state Commissioner for Information, John Okiyi Kalu, had died at the Abia State University Teaching Hospital in Aba yesterday.

Given an update on the incident to newsmen on Sunday in Umuahia, Kalu revealed that the deceased pass away after a brief illness relating to High blood pressure.

Reacting to the commissioner’s death, Governor Ikpeazu expressed his sadness and shock over the news which he described as unfortunate.

Ikpeazu commiserates with the family, friends and well-wishers, praying that God will give the family of the deceased the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss and rest his soul in the bosom of the Lord.

Continue Reading

Trending