Connect with us

Metro

Covid-19: NGO extends a hand to the Poor, Feeds 2,500 families in Ibadan

Published

on

The emergence of the novel Corona Virus Disease has contributed to the increasing rate of poverty in Nigeria and the obvious hardship that has ravaged the nation.

Families especially the low/no income earners who have being forced to abandon their source of livelihoods just to stay alive, find it extremely difficult to put food on the table.

In a bid to alleviate the pains of the people especially those that can be referred to as the ‘poorest of the poor’, a not-for-profit organisation, MOL foundation (Maria Oladapo Foundation) founded and funded by Bukky Amos-Bello has extended a helping hand to those families that can’t afford a decent meal at this time.

The foundation gave out food packs to 2,500 indigent families across the city of Ibadan.

 

MOL foundation gifts out food packs to Ibadan residents

MOL Foundation on Operation Feed the Poorest of the Poor

This exercise tagged, “Operation feed the Poorest of the Poor” took place from Thursday, 9th of April 2020 to Saturday, 11th of April 2020.

The Chairman/CEO of the Foundation through the Managing Director, a veteran Nollywood director, Yemi Amodu while entertaining questions from journalists says “it is a way of giving back to the society especially at this trying times. This is why the focus is on the indigent and those that are extremely affected by the lockdown caused by the Pandemic.

“The government can’t do it all and this is why capable citizens have to stand in the gap”, Bukky Amos-Bello added.

One of the beneficiaries, Mrs Silifatu, appreciated the organization for reaching out to people at such a time when there is hunger in land. She noted that the current situation has made so many incapacitated, calling on the government to ensure a transparent distribution of the bail out materials donated by the Federal Government and private individuals.

Recall that on December 31, 2019, Corona Virus was first discovered in Wuhan, China and has since spread into every continent of the world. The first case in Nigeria was confirmed on 27 February, 2020 in Lagos and has gradually spread into states of the country.

As at today, Sunday April 12, there have been 318 confirmed coronavirus cases and 10 deaths in Nigeria, while 70 people in the country have recovered after contracting the deadly virus.

According to World Health Organization (WHO), Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Another explosion in Lagos; Eight lives lost

Published

on

By

 

In what can be described as a sad event, eight persons have so far been confirmed dead in the gas explosion that occurred in Baruwa community, in the Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State in the early hours of Thursday, October 8.

Confirming the number of fatalities to newsmen, the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said

“The explosion occurred and the agency activated a response plan. Initial disaster assessment is as follows: casualties still being assessed but eight fatalities have been identified so far. 25 houses that are mostly bungalows, 16 lock-up shops and one primary school have been affected.

Firefighters and rescue workers are operating at the incident scene. The gas emission has been identified and curtailed. Damping down is ongoing.

Post-disaster assessment will be carried out and further updates provided”

Continue Reading

Metro

Baby factory exposed in Osun, Undergraduate, 47 babies rescued

Published

on

By

A FACILITY in Ile-Ife, Osun State, where women are apparently impregnated and their babies sold off by operators has been sealed by the state government.

An undergraduate was among women rescued at the facility, which is said to be operating under the guise of an orphanage.

Also, 47 children were evacuated from building, The Nation gathered.

Women, Children and Social Affairs Commissioner, Olubukola Olaboopo and other officials of the ministry and police sealed off the facility identified as Oroyemi Elizabeth Covenant Home and Care Centre.

Olaboopo told The Nation on the phone on Saturday that government received reports on the goings-on in the building over a period of three to four years suggesting that there were some illegal activities there.

She said despite warnings by the government, the owner persisted, thus breaching the Child Right Laws, and resulting in the closure of the building.

“We have gotten several reports over a period of 3-4 years, reporting how the children in Oroyemi Elizabeth Covenant Home and Care Centre are malnourished and the environment have been very dirty and how some illegal activities have been going on more or less like a baby factory and many more allegations,” she said.

“We rescued 47 children; 10-15 adults girls are there. Those with physical disabilities,among whom is an undergraduate of Osun State Polytechnic, Iree, were among those that were rescued. Most of them were crying, they refused to follow us but we were able to take three of them.

“As at this (yesterday) morning, the matron who is taking care of those adults just told me that it seems two of them are breastfeeding. When we interrogated them, they said they have never given birth to a child. So it means that we want to know who got them pregnant when they are not married.

“How come they are pregnant? So there are so many things underneath and the state government is still investigating.”

The Nation

Continue Reading

Metro

Just In: Fire engulfs warehouses belonging to Guinness PLC in lagos

Published

on

 

Two warehouses belonging to Guinness PLC caught fire in Ogba, Lagos, on Thursday morning, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service said.

According to a press statement put out by the Service, the fire started at about 3 am.

“A distress call was received at about 0330hrs to Wemco Road, Ogba where it was discovered on arrival that twin warehouses belonging to Guinness PLC was on fire,” the Service’s Acting Head, Mrs. Margaret Adeseye confirmed in the statement.

She said that immediately the call was received firefighters, from Alausa and Ilupeju Stations, were deployed to the scene of the incident.

Adeseye added that the cause of the inferno that gutted the warehouses, which are used for storing plastic containers and bottles, is yet to be ascertained at the moment.

While saying that the rescue operations by the firefighters to put off the fire is already at the conclusion stage, she confirmed no deaths or injuries have been recorded as a result of the incident.

Continue Reading

Trending