Connect with us

News

BREAKING: The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip is dead

Published

on

 

The news of his death was confirmed by statement released by the Buckingham Palace on Friday.

The statement reads: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.”

The Duke was married to Queen Elizabeth II for more than 70 years and became the longest-serving consort in British history.

About Prince Philip

Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was born on the island of Corfu in 1921.

At the age of 18, the prince joined the Royal Navy as a cadet.

He saw active service during the Second World War, serving in the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean, and was mentioned in despatches for his bravery.

In 1947 he renounced his Greek and Danish royal titles, took on the surname of Mountbatten and became a naturalised British subject ahead of his marriage to Princess Elizabeth.

Their wedding was the first great state occasion after the end of the Second World War.

His commitment to the Queen was unfaltering. He gave up his career in the Navy in order to support her in her role as monarch.

The Queen has described Prince Philip as her “constant strength and stay”.

They had four children – Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward – and he was a much loved grandfather and great-grandfather.

He saw himself as a moderniser within the British monarchy, orchestrating the first royal walkabout – but he was also known for his forthright views and off-the-cuff remarks.

Prince Philip’s concern for young people inspired him to create the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme, and he supported more than 800 charities and good causes – focusing on his interests in wildlife conservation, technology and sport.

Since the 1940s Prince Philip was an ever present figure in the life of the UK and leaves behind his own considerable legacy.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: RCCG Overseer, Adeboye’s son is dead

Published

on

 

Pastor Dare Adeboye, the son of the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God Worldwide, Enoch Adeboye, is dead.

The 42-year-old, who was the third surviving child of the revered cleric, died in his sleep on Wednesday in Eket, Akwa Ibom State, where he was based with his family. Punch reports.

Our correspondent gathered from reliable sources in the church that the deceased, who was the Assistant Pastor in charge of Region (Youth) 35, had ministered the previous day.

He was said to have retired to his bed and did not wake up.

His wife, Temiloluwa, was said to have raised the alarm.

“He was not sick and did not complain of anything before the incident. Pastors in the church were summoned to pray for him, all to no avail,” a source added.

Several leaders of the church, who confirmed the incident, said they could not comment on it.

The Head of Media and Public Relations, RCCG, Pastor Olaitan Olubiyi, however, confirmed the tragedy on Thursday morning.

He said, “It is true. The incident happened in Eket where he was based. I don’t have the details for now. Maybe before the end of today, we will issue a statement.”

Dare would have been 43 years old next month, June.

Last year, on his 42nd birth, his dad, Adeboye on a social media post described him as his first miracle child.

He wrote on his Facebook page, “Our first miracle child. We pray that God will keep his miraculous working power in your life and all those who need a miracle today, will use you as a point of contact for their own in Jesus’ name. (Amen) love from Dad, Mom, and the whole Adeboye dynasty.”

Dare was happily married with children.

Continue Reading

News

Father Mbaka’s followers on rampage after Catholic church suspends him over row with Buhari

Published

on

By

 

The Catholic Diocese of Enugu has suspended Father Ejike Mbaka from church activities for one month, Peoples Gazette can reports.

This follows the controversial priest’s political escapades that continually overshadow his theological obligations on a scale that nurtures unending concerns amongst his senior clerics.

 

Mr Mbaka was asked to proceed on suspension with effect from May 3 after being summoned by Callistus Valentine Onaga, the diocesan bishop.

 

 

Mr Onaga called Mr Mbaka following his repeated clashes with President Muhammadu Buhari and warned that his conduct was smearing the image of the church, the largest of any Christian organisation worldwide, church officials familiar with the matter told The Gazette.

 

Mr Mbaka sparred with Mr Buhari’s aides in a series of verbal fireworks that included the Nigerian presidency threatening to blackmail the priest as a political jobber and public contract racketeer. Mr Mbaka denied the allegations.

 

Still, Mr Onaga and other senior reverend fathers of the Enugu Diocese were compelled to step in and mitigate the unfolding public perception tumult that could have far-reaching consequences for the conventional but unofficial church and state relationship.

The church leaders recognised that Mr Mbaka’s Adoration Ministry as an independent congregation that does not fall directly under the main church’s control, he could still be reined in as a priest under the Roman Catholic’s certification, officials said.

Following his suspension, Mr Mbaka returned to his ministry that lies north of the outskirts of Enugu city centre, where he subsequently incited his members against the bishop, sources said.

Mr Mbaka’s followers claimed without evidence that he was kidnapped by Mr Onaga and handed over to the State Security Service. They subsequently marched on the premises of the bishop on Wednesday morning, looting and destroying assets therein.

The mob also descended on the Holy Ghost Cathedral, again looting and destroying items in the building. The members also went to town to allege that the SSS had arrested Mr Mbaka — generating widespread media reports despite lacking requisite corroboration. The Gazette did not publish the claim.

A spokesman for the SSS denied taking Mr Mbaka into custody or coming in any contacts with him when reached by The Gazette, contrary to his followers’ rumours.

A spokesman for the diocese did not immediately return a request seeking comments. Mr Mbaka’s line was switched off when dialled by The Gazette on Wednesday night.

Before falling out with Mr Buhari recently, Mr Mbaka was an ardent supporter of the president. He endorsed his campaign in 2015 and claimed his blessings played a role in its success.

But as Mr Buhari’s regime failed to tackle acute poverty and insecurity, Mr Mbaka said he was compelled to speak up and distance himself from his regime, describing it as evil and satanic and calling on the president himself to vacate office.

Mr Buhari’s controversial spokesman Garba Shehu subsequently issued a statement, claiming Mr Mbaka’s comments were out of anger for his unsuccessful attempts to corner lucrative federal contracts. The priest denied the allegations but confirmed that he recommended a group of security contractors to the president whose proposals were not acted upon.

Church sources said Mr Mbaka’s latest suspension was being viewed as significant for its undertone, but not the first time the fiery priest would face administrative action.

“We know people will link this to his confrontation with Buhari, but he was once demoted from a parish priest to a deputy under a parish priest,” a church official said. “He had also been transferred from bigger parishes to smaller ones for his frequent infractions in the past.”

Still, church officials admitted Mr Mbaka’s Adoration Ministry has been a cash cow for the Enugu Diocese, even though it was built by Mr Mbaka and not directly under its control.

Continue Reading

News

Power generation falls further by 27%

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s power generation, has dropped in one day by 27 per cent to 3,567.30 megawatts, MW, as at 06hours compared to the 4,557.50MW peak generation at 22hours the previous day.

 

Latest data obtained by newsmen from the Independent System Operator, ISO, showed that the peak generation on Sunday was also less than the 4,700MW recorded on Saturday at 01hours.

According to the ISO data, total energy sent out on Sunday was 94,378.72MWH out of the total energy generated which was 96,115.73MWH.

The data also showed that the previous day, total energy sent out was 103,941MWH from total energy generated which was 105,784.19MWH.

Despite this however, electricity distribution companies took 4,170.93MW of the power generated on Sunday with Ikeja DISCO and Ibadan DISCO leading with 693.24MW and 548.14MW respectively.

The data also indicated that Eko DISCO and Abuja DISCO took 546.04 and 446.32MW respectively with Yola DISCO taking the least power at just 126.92MW.

Further checks showed that Benin DISCO and Enugu DISCO took 364.94MW and 369.94MW respectively while Jos DISCO and Kaduna DISCO took 223.02MW and 304.40MW respectively.

Kano DISCO and Port Harcourt DISCO were reported to have taken 304.40MW and 243.57MW respectively.

Continue Reading

Trending